Positive Discipline begins at birth and lasts a lifetime. That’s right, it’s never too early or too late to use Positive Discipline, because it is based on mutually respectful relationships in which you respect your child and you respect yourself.
With Positive Discipline, the emphasis is on a balance of firmness and kindness, and on providing respect for both adults and children. Positive Discipline, because it is neither permissive nor punitive, rings hope, increased skills, and love to your family.
Five Criteria for Positive Discipline:
- Is Kind and Firm at the same time. (Respectful and encouraging)
- Helps children feel a sense of Belonging and Significance. (Connection)
- Is Effective Long-Term. (Punishment works short term, but has negative long-term results.)
- Teaches valuable Social and Life Skills for good character. (Respect, concern for others, problem-solving, accountability, contribution, cooperation)
- Invites children to discover how Capable they are and to use their personal power in constructive ways.
6 weeks in length and 1 hour and 30 minutes. Each week we will discuss tools and concepts related to Positive Discipline, participate in experiential activities and parents helping parents problem solve. Below is an outline of what parents can expect each week. Please note that these weekly topics may change to reflect the needs of a families in our classes:
- What Do You Want for Your Child/ren?
- Using Curiosity Questions (Asking vs. Telling)
- Connection Through Hugs
- What is Positive Discipline?
- Importance of Kind AND Firm
- The Brain and Child Development
- What is a Positive Time Out (Feel-good place)
- Not So Perfect Parenting (Positive Discipline is NOT about being perfect parent)
- The Belief Behind the Behaviour
- The Mistaken Goal Chart
- Parenting Paradigm Shift (Creating an Encouragement Tool Box)
- Natural Consequences
- Focus on Solutions
- Importance of Family Meetings
- Routine Charts
- Connection before Correction
- Long Term Effects of Encouragement vs Praise
- Wheel of Choice
- What is My Part?
- 4 Rs of Recovering from Mistakes
- Mistakes of Opportunities to Learn
- Empowering vs Enabling
The Positive Discipline class includes:
-Remind app group
-Private facebook PD group for those currently taking or completed the class
-6 weeks of classes (75 minutes)
Invest now for only $110!
**There is no child care for this program. Little Hands & Me Parenting Network understands that childcare is difficult to access and welcomes babies in arms. However, due to experiential learning activities please make a conscious effort for toddlers, preschoolers and older children to have care outside of the center. Thank you for understanding. **